Sometimes I get so caught up in showcasing fun baking projects and my favorite pizzas, that I forget to share some typical healthy meals. As a strong vegetable enthusiast, this Spring veggie bowl highlights the kind of meal I love to eat because you feel great during and after eating it. This is the type of meal we eat frequently for weeknight dinners because (if you’re quick at chopping), you can have this from fridge to table within 15 minutes.
I could easily eat this three times a day – with a fried egg on top at breakfast, as is at lunch, and with grilled chicken or fish for dinner. If you keep frozen cauliflower rice and various fresh vegetables on hand (we subscribe to Full Belly Farm’s CSA box!) you can easily throw together a veggie “rice” bowl whenever you need a healthy meal.
Spring Veggie Bowl
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 spears asparagus, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 stalks green garlic (white and light green parts only), diced
- 2 cups riced cauliflower
- 1/2 cup frozen or fresh peas
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- 2 tablespoons crème fraîche
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- Juice from 1/2 lemon
- 1 sprig tarragon, chopped
- Salt and pepper, to taste
Heat the olive oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add the asparagus and green garlic and cook, stirring often, for about 5 minutes. Add the cauliflower, peas, and spinach and continue to cook until the mixture is warmed through and the spinach is wilted.
Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the remaining ingredients until combined. Split between two bowls and serve!
Refine Cooking Tips
- If you don’t have green garlic, you can substitute regular garlic or for a different taste, use leeks or spring onions instead.
- I buy ready-made riced cauliflower in the frozen section at Whole Foods, but to make your own simply pulse a head of raw cauliflower in a food processor until it looks like grains of rice.
- Feel free to substitute any herb in place of the tarragon for a slightly different flavor – I think chives sound great too!